Wednesday, March 17

Class [Post #4]

I found today's class to be very helpful. Reading the two ethnography(s) and comparing what makes one particular one better than the other gave me a good understanding on how I should write.

The sentence structure workshop was interesting. As Ms. Mork ran through the workshop, I vaguely remembered sections of it from previous classes. Maybe even back in elementary! (I'm not quite sure; I failed much more at English back then.)

Although it was interesting and probably extremely helpful under certain circumstances, I didn't think I'd actually ever use any of the terms we learned. When I edit, I make sure sentence sounds right rather than it is right. Basically, I just read it out loud and test it that way. I'm not sure how other people do it though.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Leyen,
    I agree completely that the editing techniques introduced to us in class were less than helpful. While it is true that repetitive sentence structure is truly annoying to try and read, there is no mathematical algorithm that has been laid down to show you where to put what. In essence, it is a stylistic choice most of the time and an accident the rest of the time. This is why writing groups are so helpful!

    ReplyDelete