Wednesday, February 17

[Post #1, 2, 3, + 4]

I haven't posted in a while but here I go...

First off, personal narratives. Since it is due on Friday and today is Wednesday, I am nearly complete. Or, I could be. Before this class, my revisions consisted of merely reading over once or twice and correcting a few words, deleting some phrases, and checking the spelling and grammar. That was it. However, with this class, I learned many new techniques that have become extremely helpful and will continue to use. Never have I written and rewritten a paper so many times. I am on my fourth revision! And that's not including the first crappy draft. It's strange yet I feel a lot more comfortable with my essay as each revision passed.

Today's workshop was also helpful. I'm sure many of my classmates knew some of the things we talked about, but there was a lot of things that I hadn't noticed. Commas are so tricky and I had a lot of trouble with that and still do! The writing groups were also extremely helpful. At first though, we were still in a daze and unsure of what to do, so there wasn't a lot of modifications. However, with the second workshop, I got a lot down and fixed. I also realized that I did repeat a lot of words but when reading them aloud, it seemed even more prominent.

On the subject of papers, I have started ethnography just today. Since I've never done this, I was unsure and uneasy as to how to even begin. Mainly, I just walked around to get the feel for it and watched the employees of Chuck E. Cheese--PK's work place. There were not a lot of people there; it was only Wednesday.

Finally, research papers. The research, I think, is due next Wednesday, right? That leaves less than a week to find a topic (if not already done so) and finish the research. I am unsure about my topic at the moment. I kind of want to do one on how age affects the ability to learn new languages. But that may be tricky--I'll poke around some more and hopefully will find something that interests me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the drafts. The more I go over my paper the better it turns out. I find new ways to say things which help the flow of my paper.The writing groups are a great tool as well.

    ReplyDelete