Wednesday, February 3

Ethnography [Post #2]

Ethnography. My first encounter with this word was actually on another blogging site. I happened across it, and curious, skim the contents. The whole project was done through online messaging, through the internet. Fascinating. It was actually on an online fanbase, a small community of fans who gathered to discuss their common interest.

As I watched my friends flutter frantically about due to their English ethnography project about a year later, I became interested. A study of a subculture was something I hadn't thought of before. Pretty soon, they managed to rope me into helping them with their project.

Now, I find myself nervously tapping my feet and excited to work on this project. The only problem was on what. I have absolutely no idea what subculture or group (or culture for that matter) I would study--oh joy, the stress.

Still, reading TCE made me realize certain things that I never actually gave much thought to. For example, when I read that some people said that "green" and "blue" were the same color (as an example for tacit culture), I realized that my parents do that. To them, the words for "green" and "blue" are the same.

Continuing on, TCE began explaining Microcultures, which, before this day, I have never thought of. (Google Chrome does not recognize the word "Microcultures", random thought there.) A culture within a culture--makes sense, yes? Most people don't think of that though. They don't think that say, a basketball team is a culture. I agree, but that might be because most people don't know what culture is exactly.

Which brings us back to the first chapter and the explanation of cultures.

1 comment: