Tuesday, February 2

The First Day [Post #1]

I was absent yesterday, so I've only just begun reading the very first assignment for this class and although I've only reached page two, I felt the need to write something.

In the introduction to FSTI, we're comparing the graceful and beautiful Korean pottery with the Japanese. I thought this was an interesting way to begin. As I continued on, I thought, yeah, this does make sense: the process, rather than the product, is the key. This may perhaps be because there are times when I would find myself searching up tutorials or a video of an artist to explain the process of a piece. I'm rather used to this, however I've never really noticed or compared it to the process of writing. Sure, I might have known somewhere buried in my mind that authors/writers/poets have a hard time writing too, that they spend countless hours sitting behind an empty screen with that accursed cursor mocking them. But that thought was never really compared to writing an essay for an English class.

(Random thought: I noticed that in Exploring the Subject, when the author(s) used the business executive example, they used the pronoun "she" rather than "he or she". What does that say? This would also be the place where I would insert an emoticon.)

It's interesting that they say to really look deep into the subject matter one is writing about. And yeah, it does make sense, because most students--and maybe some teachers--don't really dive into their subject matter. This is almost like they're picking apart the process and trying to show how to write--ugh, I forgot my train of thoughts. Maybe I'll come back to this.

I like how they compared writing to a stage performance with the process being the practicing of lines and such, and then the finished product being the final performance or act. It gives a new perspective on how and why you write. Or at least, for me.

I hate to say it but I think I really disagree with the assertion that poetry is not spontaneous because I completely agree with Wordsworth. To me, poetry is exactly that and it's not right if it's organized. That's what prose, or an original story is for. That is much more organized and formatted so that the reader has a much easier time enjoying the story rather than looking at how the words are organized.

Editing: That's what thesauruses are for. (Insert another emoticon here. Can I at least put a smiley?)

"The writing process is the beginning of movement from sight to insight." Why does that sound like there's going to be a revolution or something?

(I also would like to apologize for the over using the commas. I tend to vomit commas.)

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about poetry being spontaneous! I had the same critical thoughts when I had read that the author claimed poetry is not spontaneous. When I'm writing a poem I just spew out the words that come to my head, it's a very raw process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I realize this is a place to comment on what you wrote, I must speak about how you wrote it. I greatly enjoyed your critical analysis of what the authors had to say. I am completely with you on the emoticon issue. I actually typed one out, only to sadly delete it (insert emoticon here). I especially enjoyed the phrase "sorry, I tend to vomit commas." Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I had the same revelation when I was reading about the Korean pots! I guess great minds think alike.

    Actually, this process reminds me of a class I took second term where we were taught to put different layers into a watercolor painting. The teacher said to place cooler colors (blue, purple) in the back and put warm colors (red, orange, yellow) in the front in order to create shawdowed layers. When my painting was complete, it seemed to come alive!

    ReplyDelete