Thursday, February 4

FSTI [Post #3]

Skimming through the first three chapters of FSTI, I noticed that the topics were of things we discussed in class: observing, language, perception, and voice. Often, we don't really notice the little details in our lives and that is what the first chapter points out. I could understand to "need" to look at things carefully because just a few days ago, I had only just noticed that one of my friend's eyes was lighter than I had first thought! And we had known each other for...quite a while.

It points out that we can miss the tiniest details and when writing, that little detail is very important.

We've heard a lot about "showing" versus "telling" in writing and here it is again--in chapter two! However, I especially loved the clear cut examples this book shows us. From the first step of merely telling to the final, detailed sections of showing the audience. I took a look at the exercises in the back of chapter two and would like to try it out sometime.

I remember we briefly discuss voice in class and I do agree. Although I believe that essays should show some voice, some character, it should remain focused on the larger task.

The final chapter, "Facing the Blank Page", is the one that interests me the most. I...write a lot and I enjoy writing, and therefore I often find myself glaring at the blank Word document with its cursor laughing hysterically at me. My methods usually included to just get away from writing. I would stop, completely, and go and do something else. I would wait for something and come back and write anything. It didn't matter what I would try to write, be it the work-in-process or a new piece. Other times, I would turn out a bit of music--however, I usually find that very distracting since I tend to listen and sing along to the lyrics (or try to, at least).

I like the list of the habits of writing. It seems interesting and I have attempted once to make writing a habit (guess how that turned out). Maybe I'll try it again...

3 comments:

  1. About the Blank Page thing, I avoid the cursor "laughing hysterically" at me by actually WRITING a HAND-DRAFTED version first. Usually after I'm done, I tend to get rid of whole sentences that I didn't like and add new things. It's very helpful to get all my thoughts down onto the paper and then start organinzing what I really want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a perfectionist. I always try to pay attention to details. However, I always manage to miss some of them somehow.
    You make a valid point about starting to write. It's always hard for me to start writing. I don't know where to start every time I write. It can be stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really liked the examples that were given in the section about showing vs. telling. It was helpful to actually see an example of what I was reading about. Your advice about leaving the computer and then trying to write later is good, but it doesn't always work for me. Sometimes I can't stop thinking about the fact that I have to get something written...

    ReplyDelete